Planning your Thanksgiving feast is about more than creating a delicious and flavorful menu that includes all of the traditional dishes. You also need to plan for the plates, platters and other dishware items that will be needed not only to serve the meal but also to set the table in an elegant yet functional manner.
Fortunately, preparing the platters and plates for your Thanksgiving dinner does not have to cost you a fortune. You can pick up many of the items that you need at Goodwill Industries of Monocacy Valley, where there are many gently-used dishware items in excellent condition. This is one of the most affordable and sustainable ways to get the Thanksgiving plates you need.
Now, before you make your grocery shopping list, take note of the tableware you will need:
Thanksgiving Plates, Platters, Bowls, Boats and More
When you are planning an extensive menu for your Thanksgiving meal, you are going to need more than just one plate set. These are the Thanksgiving plates and tableware items you will want to have on hand:
- Thanksgiving Plates and Chargers — There are many options for dinner plates for the Thanksgiving meal. You can use the regular dinnerware that you have or your formal china. You also can purchase new plates with a Thanksgiving theme, such as a turkey or fall leaf decor. If you are setting a formal table, you may want to purchase decorative chargers that will add a touch of color and class to your table.
- Small Appetizer Plates — If you are planning on serving small plates or appetizers before the turkey is done roasting, then you will want to have a set of small appetizer plates available for your guests.
- Platters — You will want to make sure that you have enough platters for every dish you are serving. You will need at least one large platter for your turkey, and possibly several other platters for serving additional side dishes.
- Salad Bowls — Large glass salad bowls allow you to display your leafy side dish in a tasteful way.
- Small Serving Bowls — Many of the traditional Thanksgiving side dishes require the use of small serving bowls. Cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, stuffing and more can be served in these types of bowls.
- A Gravy Boat — Gravy makes everything better on Thanksgiving, which is why you should invest in a gravy boat or two to pass around the table.
- Flatware — Flatware should be set out at each place setting, ready for your guests to use when they begin the meal.
- Drinkware — Depending on what you are serving your guests, you may need a variety of drinkware. You may want to consider purchasing standard glasses, wine glasses and champagne flutes for Thanksgiving.
Decorative Dinner Plates: What You Need to Know
Decorative dinner plates are an ideal choice for a Thanksgiving meal, because they help set the tone for the meal. When you set the table with these festive plates, you are creating a celebratory atmosphere that reminds everyone that Thanksgiving is not just another meal — it’s one of the best dinners of the year.
These are a few of the reasons why you might consider purchasing decorative Thanksgiving plates:
- You can purchase plates that match the tablecloth or centerpiece that you are using for the meal. This will help tie the entire event together.
- You can use decorative dinner plates to elevate your event, making it feel formal and elegant.
- Decorative dinner plates can often be paired with chargers that are set on the table before the meal is served. Your guests will be impressed by your attention to detail.
You may be able to find a variety of decorative plate sets at Goodwill, such as those that have a fall motif or those that are a specific color that will match the existing decor in your home. Regardless of which type of decorative plates you choose, you will find that these plates help complete the Thanksgiving experience at your home.
Should You Go With Paper Plates for Thanksgiving?
While decorative plates may transform an ordinary Thanksgiving into a formal feast fit for royalty, there are still plenty of reasons to consider using paper plates for Thanksgiving. Paper plates can be purchased for an affordable price, and they are a functional option that in no way diminishes the style of your event.
Here are a few things that you should consider if you want to use paper plates for your Thanksgiving meal:
- Be sure to purchase sturdy paper plates. Not all paper plates are created equal, and the Thanksgiving meal includes many dense, heavy items, such as piles of mashed potatoes or towers of turkey.
- Paper plates may be an ideal option if you are having a buffet-style Thanksgiving dinner. They are often easier for people to carry as they move through the buffet line.
- Paper plates certainly make the clean-up process easier. When you opt for paper plates, you can spend less time doing the dishes afterward and more time visiting with your guests.
How Do You Set Up a Thanksgiving Dinner Table?
Now that you are ready with all of the Thanksgiving plates and tableware you need, you will need to create a plan for setting the table. These tips will help you set up a timeless table for all of your guests to sit at on Thanksgiving Day:
- Plan the table arrangements around the centerpiece or centerpieces that you chose for the day. You will want to make sure that the centerpiece does not prohibit conversation, and that it fits comfortably along with the serving platters and place settings.
- Set each place setting in advance to be sure that there is enough room for everyone. The chargers and decorative plates should be set first, and then you can put your napkins on top of the plates. Place forks to the left of each plate, and the knives and spoons to the right of each plate.
- If you are serving salad, you can place a small salad bowl in the top left corner of each place setting.
- Drinkware should go to the right of the plate. You should set out a juice or water glass for each individual, as well as the appropriate wine glass for the type of wine you will be serving.
- After each place setting has been accounted for, you can identify where you will put your serving platters. The turkey should take pride of place near the centerpiece, and the other platters and bowls should be spread out so that they are accessible to every guest.
Planning for your Thanksgiving table design in advance will allow you to move through each step of your Thanksgiving Day with confidence, knowing that you are a prepared host who is ready to give your guests the best meal of the year.
Whether you are planning an elegant affair in your formal dining room, or you are opting for a casual Thanksgiving meal with the football game on in the background, you can get all of the tableware that you need at Goodwill Industries of Monocacy Valley. Begin your shopping early, and visit often, so that you can always find the most recent items that have been added to our inventory. And don’t forget, there are plenty of Thanksgiving decorations in stock.
Celebrate the holidays in style this year, visit Goodwill Industries of Monocacy Valley to start shopping today for affordable and unique pieces that will make your Thanksgiving feast a memorable one.